Thursday, October 11, 2012

Indoor UV Rays


As an esthetician I am asked “what can I do to help my complexion look better?” The first thing I ask my clients is to tell me about their current skin care regimen. I always pause when I do not hear them mention that they use an SPF. I respond to their question by saying if you only change one thing about your skin care would be using SPF everyday. Yes, most of us use SPF when we are going to be outside but not everyone uses it when we are indoors. UV rays damage the skin, age it prematurely and increase the risk of developing skin cancer. While UVB rays do not usually penetrate windows, UVA rays are present indoors. Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury vapor that emits UV rays. Computers, copiers and halogen lights emit UV rays at lower levels. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends using no less than a SPF 15. This will provide 5 hours of indoor UV exposure protection. I recommend to my clients the use of SPF 40 will provide 13 hours of indoor UV protection.
Source: Uploaded by user via Cali on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment