Monday, March 4, 2013

Flossing



I had my six month dental check up and cleaning today and like every time before my hygienist, Kim, reminds me that I need to floss everyday. I admit it, I am not a regular flosser; in fact I maybe floss once a week at best. This is very disturbing to me because I (and my friends and family) consider myself one of the healthiest people I know yet I am not practicing regular flossing. I told Kim that in her honor I would dedicate this entry to her.

 There are many health benefits to flossing. Combining brushing and flossing improves oral hygiene. Floss removes plaque from the tight spaces between teeth and under the gums (plaque under the gums leads to gingivitis and gum disease). Less plaque means less time in the dental chair for cleanings and treatments. I think this is bitter sweet because if you like your hygienist (like me), you will not spend as much time in her/his chair. An unhealthy mouth is much more than bad breath and yellow teeth it can lead to heart disease, lung problems, diabetes and life threatening systemic diseases. Health problems cost money. If the above reasons have not convinced you to start flossing consider this. Flossing can decrease the costs of dental and medical bills that are directly related to poor oral health. (Resource: 5 Reasons Why Flossing is Extremely Important by Matt Cunningham)

No comments:

Post a Comment