Sunday, June 16, 2013

How safe is your water bottle?












Source: Pinterest via Cali
I attended a detox class recently and learned many things about food and containers that our foods come in. In our modern day world we are very busy and it is sad to say that convenience over health is often the decision we make. For example, water bottles. I have never been one to buy water in bottles. Why would I? I have a water filter on my refrigerator and I want to limit my carbon footprint. I never really gave a thought to my water bottle that I used until I took the detox class.

Plastic bottles contain many harmful chemicals that can impact ones health. One chemical found is bisphenol-A or BPA for short. BPA mimics estrogen and disrupts normal cell production. Studies show that people that have been exposed to increased levels of BPA have an increased risk of developing breast and prostate cancers, and uterine tumors. Children with high level exposure to BPA have been shown to have early onset puberty. BPH also effects brain development. According to a study in 2011, pregnant women who had increased levels of BPA in there urine had daughters that had increases of hyperactivity, depression and anxiety. Another chemical found is Phthalate (di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate) or DEHP for short. Research studies have shown that over exposure to DEHP can lead to hormone disruption, birth defects, breast cancer, asthma, reproductive problems and obesity.

BPA and DEHP leach from the plastic container (whether it be a plastic bottle, can or plastic wrapper) into water (or food). If the container is heated, the leaching process can occur up to 55 times faster than at room temperature.

The FDA has stated that BPA and DEHP are safe at very low levels. However, if you are exposed to these chemicals several times a day, everyday your health could be at risk. Make sure you read the labels and choose non-PBA and non-DEHP containers.

To help decrease your carbon footprint, choose a reusable container as your permanent water bottle. (Mason jars are my daughter's favorite)

(Sources: www.breastcancer.org, www.health.usnews.com, www.mayoclinic.com; Picture: www.wired.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment